Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 3 March 2018

For the love of Corrie

 

I might receive a fair amount of criticism for writing this but it's been itching away at me for a while now. I've normally restricted myself to writing about Classic Coronation Street as it's the only part of the show I can summon enthusiasm for these days. I've read an awful lot about what's going on in the present day Coronation Street and I really don't like it at all. 

Several people who know Coronation Street well, have watched and loved it for years, have written recently that Corrie just isn't Corrie any more. Nobody I've seen has written that the actors aren't up to scratch or production values have dropped. Corrie is a bit of a miracle really, turning out three hours of television a week in the way that team do. I have nothing but praise for the effort and hard graft involved. I just don't think the show is heading in the right direction.

 

There is a great deal of love out there for this programme, it's cherished by many. A large swathe of the population cannot remember a time when Corrie was not a part of their daily lives. On the outside looking in though, it could be argued that the company that we entrust with the future of this wonderful legacy of drama, comedy and northern storytelling just do not understand what Coronation Street means. In this day and age money, ratings and popularity on social media seem to be the driving forces for success. Advertising revenue, beating the competition and guaranteeing controversial talking points among the hashtag generation on Twitter is the name of the game. 

All long running shows need to adapt and change if they want to survive but I really do think Corrie is in danger of forgetting the main principles on which it was founded. These days I often feel Coronation Street could be set anywhere, the sense of Manchester is all but lost. Many of the characters are also interchangeable with any other show in the genre. As I see it the emphasis now is not on character driven stories or even character development, but issue led dramatic tension. It really is a street of extremes. I know serial dramas are all about heightened stories and action and are only meant to represent aspects of real life, not the daily drudgery. Yet the situations must be believable and the audience must be able to accept that the characters could and would find themselves in these circumstances.

 

At the moment we have so many issues being thrashed about it feels like Coronation Street is a box ticking exercise, not a beloved long-running drama. I don't want to dwell on the recent episodes which managed to cram in OCD, grooming, poledancing, the glassing of a character with a bottle and a vicar using heroin in his own church. I know the idea of the watershed is old fashioned, but Coronation Street really was a family show at one point and I feel that while many of the issues being played out are worthy, they are not Corrie. The soap is encroaching far too much into the subject matter of other dramas which can push the envelope a great deal further.

Many people feel that there has been a definite shift towards sensationalism and despite many of those involved in the programme defending its content to the hilt, I don't think anyone could disagree with that. I don't blame the actors and writers for sticking up for the show, after all their jobs depend on it. I've seen longstanding viewers say they'll stop watching and while that should concern ITV, they seem to be attracting a younger audience for the time being. There is a problem with this though. I don't believe younger viewers today are as loyal to a brand, given the range of channels available these days. Also, people younger than me and mine just don't watch television in the traditional way anymore. Neglecting the long standing viewer is a dangerous game. My mother and grandmother have watched Corrie pretty much since the beginning and although neither of them are prudes, they find much of the recent content inappropriate, depressing and mean-spirited. Any comedy in the scripts is forced. Those are not the foundations Coronation Street was built on.

 

Having discussed this with family and friends, there is common opinion that the Street is now far too sensationalist and issue-led. It's also felt that too much of the action focusses on too few characters. It's no surprise that the actors who gain the most screen time are those with the biggest social media following. I really do think Corrie is missing a trick when they neglect some of the best actors on television - the likes of David Neilson, Barbara Knox, Helen Worth and Sue Nicholls seldom get a look in these days. I'm not going to name the actors I think dominate too many of the storylines but I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. Also, while there is a determination to constantly seek out the latest, biggest social issues and trends, it does feel that the Corrie cast is carrying a lot of deadwood characters who have seen precious little development in years. It's an odd combination.

I had major issues with the long running Pat Phelan storyline. I think the actor who plays Pat is superb and deserves to go on to great success elsewhere but the story has been padded out beyond belief and it's taken far too many nasty, unnecessarily grim twists and turns. I complained about the episode broadcast in October which saw the double murder of Vinny and Andy. At the time various luminaries came out and said Corrie had always tackled violent storylines, the shooting of Ernest Bishop in 1978 being quoted by some. For me the stories are like chalk and cheese. The shock death of Ernest was a rare event at the time and therefore had much more of an impact. The story also focussed much more on the grief and recovery of Emily, Ernest's wife. The deaths in the Phelan storyline have been much more about the shock value gained by the way they were carried out. And yes I know we had the Richard Hillman story a decade or so ago but there was black comedy in that one and almost a lightness of touch compared to the current saga. 

 

As I've said I would never look to criticise individual performances or writers as I think the standard remains gobsmackingly high across the board. Yes there are plot holes and unbelievable twists but that's soap for you. In focussing on the big tabloid issues and stunts, Coronation Street is not finding nearly enough time in its three hours a week to deal with the little details of life, the humour, pathos and development of long standing characters. It doesn't operate as a community on screen anymore and characters don't interact in the way they used to. Perhaps this is just Corrie reflecting society today but I don't like it. I really don't. 

So what would I do to change things? For a start I'd shift Peter and Toyah out of the pub. They are not in the tradition of classic Rovers landlords and the central focus of the show is now beige and bland. I'd also introduce a few older characters to broaden the appeal of the show. There are plenty of more mature character actors out there crying out for a gig. I also think Corrie needs to return to its roots and focus on strong women. For too long the storyliners' idea of a strong woman is a snivelling wreck or an eternal bad decision maker who deserves everything she gets. It's just not on. I'd also suggest the Corrie production machine cuts back on the social media a little - I don't think it does anyone any favours. And finally, for pete's sake give some of the other actors in the show something tangible to do. David Neilson needs a humdinger of a story as does Sue Nicholls and the hugely under-rated Shelley King. Even today, Coronation Street is bursting with top turns and quality talent, a great deal of which it is just not using effectively.

 

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now and drift back to 1987. You may not like what I've said, you may vehemently disagree with every word I've written, but believe me, any criticisms I have come from a long held, deep rooted love for Coronation Street.

You can follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82 but please play nice.




Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Graeme! You are spot on!!
So called 'social media' is making a joke of society and is destroying so much in this world of ours. I applaud your words with a standing ovation!!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with everything you have said Graeme.

70sStreetFan said...

Well said Graeme. The show has been moving way from its roots for a long time,but some of the recent scenes and stories have reached a new low. These days it's mainly about shock,sensationalism and trending on Twitter. Not a good recipe for the long term health of the programme.

Anonymous said...

Well said Graeme. I agree with your views entirely and thank you for expressing them so eloquently. I am being frustrated by other ridiculous stories too. Corrie people always did recover from broken spines quite quickly, but the amazingly quick recovery from the latest round of ailments is unbelievable. It is as though these are being thrown in just so it can be said they have been covered; none are followed up. I have watched Coronation Street, off and on (mostly on), since the beginning and I am hanging in there, but if I miss an episode I no longer bother to catch up. The Archers is going the same way.

David said...

Mate I think you'll find this blog is a form of social media. As for Graeme whilst I respect his views and opinions. There are a couple of pointers I'd like to make.

1. Graeme in my view has a big failing , in that he always looks back, it's always use older characters, bring back Mavis, Alma et cetera, it's always go back to the past, amke it like it used to be.

2. What is wrong with dealing with OCD? Let's knock this the show shouldn't deal with social issues on the head once and for all, it has always dealt with social issues , right from the very beginning.

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thanks very much for your comments David. 1) i wouldnt say it was a failing, more a personal preference and 2) i see nothing wrong in Corrie tackling social issues and OCD is a very worthy topic. My point is that it seems to be too issue led, too much at once. I agree tackling social issues is important.

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you!

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thanks for your comments! I really do hope it improves

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thanks, yes I agree. I worry about its longevity in a way I've not done before.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Another 'Well said' from me! I really do feel these days that Corrie is being marketed. The 'interviews' with actors which come in the form of Q and A are probably written by the PR team. There's no time for story development so these are published to bring viewers up to speed. And don't worry, if you don't like one storyline, there'll be another one along in a minute. Apart from Phelan's which has been dragged out (twists and turns, my eye!) way beyond credibility. Screen time is given to characters where the actor has a strong social media following. Not always, but often these are the younger cast members and Connor McIntyre is an exception. It means storylines are unlikely to focus on older people's problems. This is the very opposite of what's happening in society. With an ageing population, we should be seeing stories about on-going dementia, not something that's done and dusted in a fortnight.

Carry On Blogging! said...

Agree with you. Corrie was once dominated by mature characters and while it's important to represent as much of society as possible i think they do the older generation a great dis service at the moment

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more! Here in Canada Corrie is very popular and a lot of us feel the same way as you.

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you

Laura said...

Another person here who agrees with you. They're so focused on sensationalism now, with so little regard for even simply maintaining, never mind strengthening, the history and relationships between the characters - the foundation of the show and what has made it so popular for decades. Corrie's characters, with their rich histories and relationships, are (almost should write "were") unlike most other shows, making them the show's greatest strength, and what has enabled it to outlast many others.

They've decided to ignore that and instead emulate modern shows, most of which only last a handful of years, never mind decades. Coronation Street has in the past relied heavily on human relationships and connection to make viewers care about the characters and what happens to them. Newer viewers by and large don't care about the show, they care about the temporary thrill. Once they're not getting it any more, or some other show does it better, they'll be gone, and what will Coronation Street be left with?

I cringe thinking about what they're going to come up with next to keep outdoing previous story lines. I'm expecting to hear that they'll be killing Ken off, simply for the shock value of it.

Where's Emily?? said...

I have said for years the same thing...very disappointing. Roy Barraclough gave the show ten years tops if it continued in the vein which it has. Funny...I can miss an episode and it hardly bothers me. However...I too am rewatching the classics for the second (and sometimes third times)and I am loving it.
I am an older fan and as you pointed out loyal, so I've not abandoned my show..yet. I am finding it increasingly hard to identify with the characters and yes, time does march on...but for now...I'm going to the old Rover's where the lunchtime crowd hands down is worth my searching youtube etc just to find the episode that's missing. T'rah luv, great blog!

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thanks! Yes I remember Roy Barraclough saying that and who'd argue with such a fine actor?

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you Laura. You're right about Corrie emulating other modern shows. Sad I think. It used to be Corrie leading the way and everything else emulated it!

maggie muggins said...

Thanks for pouring your heart and soul into your blog-post, Graeme. Out of many, one thing jumps out for me, when you say that 'perhaps this is just Corrie reflecting society today'. I don't know where and with who the current creators of the show hang out, but there's more to the world than suffering, even in the world we live in today.

One of your first points about how today Corrie could be set anywhere, ties in with this feeling of wall-to-wall misery. It's a bleak view of the world and the young people of today. Of course they face challenges that a younger Gail and Ken never did. At the same time, there are so many young people today doing amazing things, speaking their truth and getting creative in order to build their futures. But is it Corrie's place to solve the psychological ills of the whole world?

And if that's where Oates wants to go, I find it curious that she stays only in the realm of social dysfunction, only within families and a generic community. Why not then branch out into politics and the larger dysfunction that actually causes people's misery. Like the greed of the One Percent, social service cut-backs in many needed areas of life and the many ways that powerful people in the world do indeed contribute (consciously or not) to marginalizing people from cradle to grave, making it difficult or impossible to become whole, healthy and good people. Like Phelan for instance. How did he happen?

But of course, I doubt that the current show-runners have any of this in mind. It might be better if they did. Then at least Modern Corrie might be less dependant on Twitter giggles and six episodes a week of pure OMG. In a way, Historical Corrie can be blamed for this mess in a strange way. If we went back to gentle 1980's style storylines more, we might see that folk on the Street were pretty messed up back then too. LGBTQ characters were firmly in the closet and many murderers got away with it by simply dying. Nothing to explain. it was all for the LOLZ.

I think Corrie fans and people in general will get tired and fed up with the current craze for this way of making entertainment. It might not happen until they get older and experience more of life. But for older fans like me, I feel it's unfair that my beloved Corrie has been stolen from me. It leaves a big void.

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly Brookside had its most popular period in the late 1980s and 1990s before viewing figures dropped due to poor storylines, leading to its eventual relegation to a graveyard slot before its final cancellation in 2003.

I think that the late and much-loved Roy Barraclough may have been right and a similar fate may await Corrie within the next few years unless things change drastically.

Anonymous said...

We also should not forget that the much-maligned Crossroads was very popular in the 1970s when it was Corrie's chief soap competitor in the days when Emmerdale Farm (as it then was) was just a low-key rural show and Eastenders hadn't been thought of. At that time Crossroads took a somewhat different approach to Corrie in that various social issues were explored, although not in such a sensationalist way as Corrie does now. However, I think that after the sacking of Noele Gordon as Meg Mortimer in 1981 the storylines gradually became poorer and viewing figures dropped, leading to its final cancellation in 1988. The short-lived revival in 2002-3 was little short of disastrous!

I was born in 1966 so I have never known a time when there was no Coronation Street. However, I can now imagine a time when it will no longer be present on our tv screens, perhaps even in the not-too-distant future. History has often shown us that even the most popular of shows eventually collapse when they lose the qualities which made them so endearing to begin with.

njblas said...

You always manage to accurately sum up the feelings of long-term viewers, Graeme - thank you. I agree 100% with your views (aside from your praise of Shelley King, whose acting I find very hammy). Having watched since 1969, I find it difficult to stop watching completely, but these days I just have it on in the background while doing other things. It's too awful to devote my full attention to. It's particularly sad to observe that these days, the odd token attempt at comedy is forced, badly written and just not amusing. Brian and Cathy, anyone? Spare me:( All around me, friends who have watched for years have all now stopped. I am starting to think that even if Kate Oates went, Corrie has lost its way to an extent that recovery won't ever happen. I would really like to see Corrie axed before the dirge that is today's effort forever tarnishes the memory of its many magnificent decades...

vintgal003 said...

I truly HOPE that Ms Oates (or her 'people') read these wonderful comments about the 'demise' of our beloved Corrie..... The Corrie we-once-knew seems to be caught up in a whirlwind and spinning itself out.....not certain what direction it is going.... As a 'former' 30 + year viewer I am truly sad that I no longer know this show....it has morphed into something strange...something odd...something I do not desire to be a part of anymore... I am truly sad that I have lost an 'old friend' xx

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree that even if Kate Oates left Corrie would not necessarily improve. I have a nasty feeling that it will be more or less the same for the remainder of its existence no matter who is the producer.



MartesBC said...

Oats legacy: Coronation Street has jumped the shark.

Anonymous said...

In reading/watching a few interviews with Kate Oates, I get the impression she is very aware of the criticism, but simply doesn't care. I would even go as far as to say she is giving ghe middle-finger to those of us who complain and miss the Corrie we know has seen better days. It bugs me that a team can come in and completely re-program the longest runnong drama, simply because the social media crowds are giving attention to a show they dont even understand the history of.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant analysis. Too many issues. Too dark. No lightness of touch and, worst of all, a dearth of warm character-led Northern humour. As you say, plenty older actors out there who could bring back the comedy.
Where are the Podmores and the John Stevensons these days? They should make you the Producer buddy. You have you finger on the pulse.

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you. Sadly people like Podmore and Stevenson don't seem to be involved these days or even exist at ITV!

Carry On Blogging! said...

I've never seen her interviewed so I can't comment but I do get a feeling they aren't bothered by what longterm fans think.

Carry On Blogging! said...

I don't know if they read all this but I'm not sure it would change anything even if they did!

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you! I think it's almost past the stage of personnel at the top making a difference, it has gone in a very distinct direction the past few years

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you and thanks for your comments too.

Martin Rosen said...

Out of interest, where do you consider the 'fault' lies? With the producer? The scriptwriters? ITV saying just bash out 6 scripts a week regardless of quality? Or somebody else?

Carry On Blogging! said...

I don't know really and I wouldnt want to blame an individual. Most likely a combination of lots of different factors and pressures

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head! I totally agree, it seems like all plot lines are forced. The humour and warmth have not been felt in a while. Well stated!

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you

popcorn said...

I love your post, Graeme, and agree whole-heartedly. Corrie now feels like the ticking-off on a list of social issues. I have no problem about social issues themselves, it is just that their occurring should proceed naturally from the flow of the scripts - - - not feel as though they are just shoe-horned in to create a sensation.

Lily Bigfield said...

Absolutely brilliant and thoughtful analysis, touching on so many things. I will just add my voice to say I agree with what you've written, Graeme, and the many excellent comments reflect my own feelings.

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you so much, I appreciate it

Carry On Blogging! said...

Thank you for your comments. You're right in what you say.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful summary of where we are with Corrie. I watch the classics on ITV3 and witness some wonderful acting, touching scenes and brilliantly sharp dialogue. None of this sensationalist rubbish we get now. One look at the Rovers set up today and I'm almost in tears thinking to myself how did it get so bad?? Bet and Alec were one of a kind, Toyah is not landlady material and she drags herself and Peter down. Get rid!!

There is no commitment to storylines, whenever anyone moves in they have a secret, and everyone sleeps around. The vicar is a joke, Bethany getting away with bad behaviour is ridiculous and I can't buy into this Rana and Kate nonsense because it's been executed so badly. Not saying love affairs have to follow a certain pattern, but it's Kate Oates way of bringing in social media attention.

As for strong women, someone in the classics like Gloria would've taken Carla and Michelle apart, she was a brilliant underrated character.

Melissa said...

I started watching Corrie in 1983. I loved the realism of the show. People who had just woken up looked like it. I feel a lot of what made this show so great is missing. The Phelan story line passed its sell by date ages ago. There is no humour anymore. The older characters are merely bit players. Why does every issue affecting the globe need to be addressed on Corrie? Every week there seems to be a new one. The essence of this once wonderful program is gone. I stopped watching in 2016. I NEVER thought that would happen. I just could not take all the insipid story lines any longer. I wish I had access to Classic Corrie episodes....

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!