Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 11 September 2017

Cobbled

When I'm not watching two and a half hours of Weatherfield antics, I like to romp all over the country on trains.  I spent five years visiting every Northern station, which means I have a keen eye for railway buildings.  Yesterday the two interests collided, so I wrote a blog about it over on my own page.  Our Glorious Editor suggested it might be worth sharing over here too.  So here it is.

Last month I inadvertently watched Emmerdale, and as a result, I got to enjoy a rare trip out on the trains with the country folk.  I'm much more of a Corrie fan, of course; I like my Northern soaps laced with a heavy dose of camp. I write the occasional piece about how awful Michelle is for the Coronation Street Blog, and I've actually visited the set not once, but twice.  I've had my picture taken with Kevin Webster!


You can imagine my delight, therefore, when the distinctive purple livery of Northern suddenly made an appearance in last night's episode.


Faye and Seb were off on a day trip to Chester (actually Faye was planning on running away to Dublin via Holyhead - it's a soap opera, go with it).  However, signalling problems curtailed their plans and dumped them off at "Mosford" station.


The Emmerdale station was familiar to me, but not familiar enough; I vaguely remembered it but had to do a lot of trawling through my memory banks to work out where "Connelton" was.  Mosford, on the other hand, was immediately ringing bells.  I knew that station.  I recognised it.  Was it Patricroft?  It was definitely this side of Piccadilly.


A descent into a dramatically lit subway and I knew it.  Irlam!  This was definitely Irlam, on the Warrington line between Manchester and Liverpool.  I sighed.  I already thought Faye's attempt to spirit Seb out of the country was a bit naive, but the poor girl couldn't even work out that there are direct trains between Manchester and Chester.  She didn't deserve to succeed.


One commercial break later and Faye and Seb were having a Coke at the very nice cafe bar in the Irlam station building.  Seb was absolutely desperate to get back into town before six o'clock, which is why he took some time to have a nice sit down and a drink.  Later, rather than boarding the bus replacement service as Faye suggested, he tried to steal a Ford Fiesta, then legged it when the man from Northern turned up; it didn't really make sense on any level.  I'm not sure where Mosford was meant to be but they were talking about getting back to Weatherfield like it would involve a trek over the Atlas Mountains on a donkey.  


Still, it was good to see a bit of my territory on the telly, and one of the pretty ones too.  I suppose Northern aren't likely to offer up the desolate hellhole that is Ardwick for filming purposes.  If you need any future advice on railway stations, ITV, I have a very reasonable consultancy fee.  It might involve access to Gary Windass' dressing room, but I'm happy to come in at any time.

Tweet me station-spottery thoughts @merseytart.



Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

4 comments:

Tvor said...

I always enjoy location spotting with my limited familiarity around Manchester and Salford. Some years ago, there was a scene with Candice and, I think, Adam, where the car broke down near a petrol station. It happened to be the petrol station around the corner from my father-in-law and where my future husband also lived and I recognized it when it aired. My Father-in-law was out walking the dog that day and watched them film and got to chat to the actress that played Candice who came up to pet his little dog.

popcorn said...

What a fabulous commentary - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

One side of my family is from Irlam and I've been to that train station but it never had a nice looking cafe that I see on the internet. It was quite a miserable, dreary station but it looks quite upmarket now. Has Irlam gentrified.

Unknown said...

I too was curious as to the location of Mosford station .. My daughter lives in Stockport and I have visited her there 4X from New Zealand ... During these visits I always enjoy train trips in the NW ...Feeling quite smug that I decided to investigate Mosford ... Back in Kiwi land now and watching catchup Coro ,we are about 12 months behind ..

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!