Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 23 December 2011

Bye Bye Becky, Where would Coronation Street be without you?


Confession time: I kind of sort of know Katherine Kelly. I always thought she was a fabulous actress and I was delighted when she turned up on Corrie. Becky was a Corrie classic, I think, a proper brassy Northern tart-with-a-heart, a character that has a long history in literature and indeed in Corrie. I loved her, and I loved the fact that she argued with everyone, and that she became close - and in many ways a surrogate daughter - to Roy and Hayley.

Where they went wrong with Becky for me was pairing her with Steve. I thought they had absolutely no chemistry and it seemed like he just arbitrarily swapped from a relationship with Michelle to one with Becky. Then Becky turned into a control freak and Steve could never seem to stop her madcap schemes. I was so glad when they split up - now Becky's back to skulking on street corners having a fag. (I do love a bit of this: see also Peter). The age gap between them was never mentioned but should have been - there must be about 10 years between them at least, and this could have been exploited more I think.

I'm sad that she's leaving, but I hope Katherine will be seen on TV in the future. I do think that Becky's time has come to an end; there isn't much else for her to do, I don't think. She would need more of a family and she hasn't got one on the Street. (Mind you, neither does Steve, especially if HOPEFULLY he and Tracy break up, but no one seems in a rush to get rid of him - more's the pity). She's also never really been that friendly with the other women on the street, although I did love her recent scenes with Lloyd. I do think that Becky is a Corrie classic, if not yet an icon, and who knows we may see her in the future - but for now I bid a fond farewell to her.

Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Rebecca, that they ruined the character when they paired her with Steve. That was the beginning of the complete failure of the character for this viewer.

Anonymous said...

I agree as well. Honestly, what did they have in common? Time inside the clink, questionable relatives, and a burning desire to spend loads of time around alcohol.

Anonymous said...

Agree Rebecca.. I think that it was the whole "Maxie" storyline that was the low point for Becky though.. it lead to her lowest points, and maddest schemes. The character and actress are great through..
another Rebecca (but in Toronto!)

Anonymous said...

I don't believe corrie made a mistake with Becky, what they showed was up's and down's life brings. If Becky was the same from the start 2 end you lot would be the first 2 complaint the show is boring.

abbyk said...

Rebecca, you took the words right out of my mouth. She was an interesting character, outside of that pointless marriage and it's OTT plots. I'll miss Becky, and would be very happy if she came back one day.

Anonymous said...

I guess what they were trying to do with Becky and Steve was to settle her down and shake him up but I think the underlying boredom of Steve's lack of drive, passion and personality saw it descend into a bit of a farce. You can't put someone that passionate with that boring, dull, whiny Mummy's boy and expect it to work.

Becky and Jason were good together, she needed someone younger and easily influenced. Even Becky and Lloyd or Nick would have been better than Steve, who bores me too.

Frosty the Snowman said...

What are they going to do with Steve now, especially as the Rovers is being sold to Cindystella and the McDonalds all gone. Another character with abysmal acting and becoming a spare part - write simon gregson out. Becky was a great character that was developed but I concur that she was ruined when she was placed with Steve when they had no on screen chemistry. Now its time for her to go. By by and good luck Katherine.

Dolly Tubb said...

Great blog Rebecca, I agree completely on all points! I thought Beccy's scenes last night with Roy and Hayley were top notch acting all round and shows what a classy actress KK is. I'm sorry she's leaving and I think that the Kylie/Becky storyline development could have been really interesting from a lot of angles - but we'll never know! Pity Kylie came back too late.

I think we'll all remember Beccy, whereas some other long term characters have been instantly forgotten.

Hark the Herald Angel said...

Well Becky Grainger was more of a Corrie "Icon" than Stella could ever hope to be.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comment Hark the Herald Angel.

Looking back, the more Stevie boy settled back into the couch and was dead boring, the more outrageous and demonstrative Becks became.

I've liked Becky more the past few months without Steve, as she became quiet and reflective; mature and strong.

Her aggressive, self-destructive behaviour with Steve was hard to watch, and was getting tiresome, but overall I'll miss the character, and the acting ability, that Katherine Kelly brought to the screen.

pickledjo said...

I ADORED watching Becky and Steve together. I thought they worked great on screen together. More-so then Steve and Karen.
Even now that they have split up they still sizzle together on screen. And make Tracy and Steve seem so much more unbelievable together.
And when the added Liz McDonald was involved it was classic!

Humpty Dumpty said...

Katherine Kelly was always going to leave at some point. As others have said, good actors don't hang about. You only have to look at the actors (excluding Ken and contemporaries) who show no signs of leaving - most would never get a job anywhere else. But it was the manner in which Becky left and all the story lines leading up to it that ruined her character. I think there was some chemistry between Becky and Steve, but Lloyd would have been a more suitable partner - older and wiser. Steve and Tracy have no chemistry at all so where is that going? Good luck, Katherine.

Cobblestone said...

I've always rated her very highly as an actor and I for one will be getting tickets to see her in She Stoops to Conquer at the National. Fully expecting to see a lot more of her in other tv dramas. Best of luck, Kat!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!