Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 30 August 2014

The good, the bad and the Grimshaw


Poor old Jason. He's not exactly blessed when it comes to family is he? I think of all the young characters Corrie has brought in over the years, Jason has developed the most and has come a long way since his introduction back in 2000.

He may not be the sharpest tool in the box but he has turned out to be a loyal friend, hard working and honest. I guess this has a lot to do with his mum Eileen, even if she has filled the house with a load of miscreant boyfriends and boring firemen over the years. I love the touching relationship between mother and son and wish we could see more of it on screen.

I also really enjoy Jason and Eva together. They bring out the best in each other. Thankfully Jason's previous dalliance with Eva's mother has been glossed over. I hope they go the distance and don't fall foul to the usual diet of affairs and break ups. Again though, we need to see more of them together so the relationship can develop.

At the moment, the writers are focussing on Jason's involvement with the dreadful duo of Tony and Todd. Stuart Blackburn has said we will eventually find out more about Todd's life in London and why it has resulted in him turning into a completely unprincipled snake however unfortunately that still seems some way off. 

I'm growing tired of Machiavellian Todd - it's lacking depth and as with Tracy Barlow, it's very much a case of endless nasty remarks and cheap underhand tactics with nothing else to offer. 

Tony is an interesting character. He's not an out and out villain but I think both Jason and Liz McDonald would do well to give him a wide berth. I'm not sure what his game plan is but I do honestly think he cares about his son. He does seem to be capable of going to some lengths to get what he wants though. Terence Maynard is very good in the role and I hope he sticks around for some time.

Ultimately I hope Jason stays on the straight and narrow and builds his business up away from the manipulative machinations of the gruesome twosome. We need to see more of Corrie's younger characters making a success of their lives so let's hope Jason does just that. I'm not quite sure how he's going to get himself out of his current predicament but I don't fancy his chances against Fiz when she's got her dander up.

It's great to see Ryan Thomas get a decent storyline. He has quietly become one of Corrie's real assets and I hope his longevity in the part continues to be rewarded. 


Follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82 



Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

11 comments:

Rachel said...

And he gets better looking as he gets older!

Frosty the Snowman said...

I like Jason, he aint the sharpest tool in the box (pardon the pun) but he is a decent caring bloke. Daddy Tone is also an enigmatic character and I dont even mind Toad his personality transplanted half brother. I do think his sour bitter old mama has had her day though. Here's hoping Catherine Tydlersly's pregnancy is written into the story instead of her just disappearing off somewhere for a year, Jason would make a good daddy and its time he settled down.

Carry On Blogging! said...

I might just have to agree with you there Rachel ;)

Humpty Dumpty said...

I generally agree with what you say, Graeme, and this blog is no exception. Jason has been a much under-valued, under-used character and I'm enjoying the fact that it's suddenly dawning on him that he's been manipulated. Tony's scowl when Jason said he would sack him and Todd eventually shows a grimmer side to him. He might even turn on his son if he had to.

It would be great if they wrote CT's pregnancy into the story. Failing that, I hope Jason leaves with Eva to see Stella for a couple of months. Actually, I can't see the business surviving Fiz's determination for justice.

Todd is fast becoming a bore. Entertaining one-liners and devious behaviour don't make a sound character. He's going the way of Tracy and, by the bye, it does look like they're trying to rescue her character with better writing. Hope the same happens for Todd.

For me, Tony is the problem. A great character played by a great actor. If only Terence Maynard would stop saying in interviews that Tony isn't a villain but a loveable rogue. The previous actor who played Tony was a loveable rogue but probably not sexy enough to be asked back as Liz's boyfriend. Terence Maynard's whole demeanour is that of a sly and menacing presence and, so far, there's been nothing about him that could be described as 'playfully mischievous' - the definition of roguish.

Anonymous said...

Humpty Dumpy,Perhaps Eva leaves for New York aloe to visit her mother should Jason get arrested?In the past Fiz's determination for jutice led to her almost getting Roy in tronble with the police after Hayley's suicide and Maria getting arrested despite Tyrone not wanting to press charges so I think she would again want Tyrone to press charges against Jason.Then I think Tony would betray his son to save his own skin.

Anonymous said...

I love Jason and am so pleased we are seeing more of him recently. Him and Eva make a great couple on screen but as you say fall victim of not being given enough screen time together. I would like to see them settle down and move in together. How about in one of the houses in Victoria Street where no character has ever been seen to live?! - Micky

BSteinhouse said...

Great post! I also noticed that in the past few years Jason has become very mature, decent, warm, hard-working, and yes, very handsome!

I like him with Eva, although I think he can do better. I'd like to see him with someone ambitious, like him. I actually think he and Carla would make a very good team!! Or someone closer to his age...how about Alya? She seems to know what's what.

What's with Eileen, though? Since Paul left she's become simply nasty and bitter. I'm appalled by how she speaks to Gail and Michael. Laughing at Gail on the ground a couple weeks ago was particularly disgusting. She should take a cue from Jason's all-round decency.

Anonymous said...

Jason is H-O-T!

- Pod

Anonymous said...

Good article. Ryan Thomas is definitely one of the better actors.

NZ Coro Junkie said...

Catherine Tydlersly is in early stages of pregnancy now so months to go before she leaves on maternity leave. I'd like to see her pregnancy written in but can see it is logistically difficult. They would need to have Eva be further along so that the onscreen baby is born before CT departs for maternity leave and then how would they explain her absence?

Carry On Blogging! said...


I agree that for once a real pregnancy should be written into the plot

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!